Home AboutMe Crafts Food

Thursday, February 12, 2009

Homemade Baby Food

Eli has been ready to eat baby food for a while now.
*
But every time I feed him the store bought stuff {which has only been like 4 times} he seems to get a weird rashy place on his face.
*
So, I decided I should stop torturing my child with yucky baby food and make him some homemade stuff instead.
*
I looked for some 'recipes' for homemade baby food online, but all I found were a few sites that told you to peel, core, slice, boil, and puree the apples. I may not be a cooking genius, but I kinda already knew to do that part....I guess I just wanted to make sure I was doing it right!
*
I picked up a 5 pound bag of apples at the store yesterday and started working on my first attempt at applesauce around 5 yesterday afternoon.
*
*
Eli was hanging out in the stroller watching me prep the apples.



I put the applesauce in some glass container and then stuck all but one of them in the freezer for later. This morning I tried to feed Eli some of the applesauce, but he wasn't too impressed. He actually gagged a few times, so I think that the applesauce may be too thick. I guess I will have to either thin it out a little bit or try to process it a little more to make it smoother.
*
While we were waiting on the apples to cool a little, I made him some bananas {which he really liked!!}. The bananas were a lot easier to make because all you have to do is process them {no peeling, chopping, or cooking}. Eli may be eating a lot of bananas especially if he keeps gagging on my applesauce!!



Pin It!

4 comments:

More Than Words said...

Wow..I am always impressed when someone makes their own baby food!! Hopefully you can find a way to thin out the sauce.

I remember when my kids were little, the bananas were always their favorite!

What a doll he is!!!!

Jennifer W. said...

I've never been brave enough to do my own baby food. I think we've discussed it with each child, just casue the store bought stuff is really expensive, but always decided it was worth it in the end to save time and effort. Then again, I've never had a baby with a reaction to it either...that would certainly make a difference. I hope it doesn't get more difficult when you move to veggies and meats...that was always my fear.

godfrey said...

There is a book titled "Super baby Foods" It is purple with gold writting. I found it at Barnes and Nobles for $19. It has all the info that you need and great recipes. I made Owen's food and he loved it. I only bought jar food when we went on trips. Another great easy prep food is avacado sliced and mashed. Another favorite of Owens when he was around 10 months steamed brocolli pureed with cheese and infant rice, rolled into balls and frozen. I would just thaw them and he would pick them up by himself. Owen ate just about everything that we ate, with few modifications so that I could freeze leftovers. I had hopes that he would be a healthy eater later in life. NO LUCK! He is doing as all toddlers do and refusing all green- even green m&ms! Good Luck on the new adventure!

He & Me + 3 said...

That is great that you are making it yourself...I had a friend that made her own too. Her kids loved it. I am impressed.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...